Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

OAL for 69gr Sierra match kings in a AR-15 with 223 wylde barrel

I'm getting decent 4 shot groups right around 1" at 100 yards with 69gr Sierra match kings with OAL of 2.250. Do you think I would see a improvement going to say 2.255 or 2.260 (Mag length)? If it matters my barrel is a 16" ballistic advantage 223 wylde stainless steel Hanson barrel 1/8 twist. Life goal for me would be under a 1". Any tips would be great appreciated. Thanks folks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    In my somewhat limited expierance with the 69gr SMK's in a 223Rem chamber,1:8 twist . . . the accuracy was dependent on the seating depth (how far off the lands).
    I finally got the combo to shoot <MOA and as much as I can remember was about .800-.875" @ 100yds. I do remember that I had to move the bullet as fast as possible though.
    I'm sure that there are more people around with better knowledge of this combo. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks. With a AR your limited to max 2.260 per Mag length but wasn't sure if it would help or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    In my somewhat limited expierance with the 69gr SMK's in a 223Rem chamber,1:8 twist . . . the accuracy was dependent on the seating depth (how far off the lands).
    I finally got the combo to shoot <MOA and as much as I can remember was about .800-.875" @ 100yds. I do remember that I had to move the bullet as fast as possible though.
    I'm sure that there are more people around with better knowledge of this combo. --- SAWMAN

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns4545 View Post
    I'm getting decent 4 shot groups right around 1" at 100 yards with 69gr Sierra match kings with OAL of 2.250. Do you think I would see a improvement going to say 2.255 or 2.260 (Mag length)? If it matters my barrel is a 16" ballistic advantage 223 wylde stainless steel Hanson barrel 1/8 twist. Life goal for me would be under a 1". Any tips would be great appreciated. Thanks folks.

Honestly, I've struggled with these as well. Even had some keyhole on me. Couldn't get good groups no matter what I tried. This was out of a M&P with a 1:9 twist 16" barrel. It just prefers lighter grain bullets. I still have some of these Sierra's left. I'll load another test batch up at 2.260 and see if that improves anything...

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    My expierance is that the 69gr SMK's will partially destabilize using a 1:9 bbl. No matter what the "formula" sez.
    I have a buddy with a bolt gun that has been rebarreled to 1:6.25 and they shoot great out of it. Should mention that it is a 223Rem chamber. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    My expierance is that the 69gr SMK's will partially destabilize using a 1:9 bbl. No matter what the "formula" sez.
    I have a buddy with a bolt gun that has been rebarreled to 1:6.25 and they shoot great out of it. Should mention that it is a 223Rem chamber. --- SAWMAN
    That's pretty much what I figured. My 1:9 definitely favors lighter bullets. It was worth a shot.

Title
    Premium Member
    If you want to try slightly longer OAL, get you some ASC mags. They guarantee a Max OAL of 2.316" but both of mine are 2.327. The 10rd are around $15 and the 20,30,40 Rd aren't much more. They are made with SS so walls are thinner and stronger. Also their follower is the best I've ever used.

"Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    With 1:9 barrel the heaviest bullet that I will use is a 62gr with lead makeup and 55gr no lead makeup.
    My XM177E2 will not stabilize a M855 62gr. It has a 1:12 bbl. Found this out the hard way in 1970.
    I am a huge fan of fast(er) twist bbls. Nowadays I have no .224" bore guns that do not have a 1:7 twist,the exception is the above mentioned retro build.
    I have no use for a 308Win with anything but a 1:10 twist bbl. A 1:9 would be better. I do not believe that you can overspin a bullet. 350,000RPM is doable. A half million and higher with the right bullet. Example: I have a Bison Armory 18" 6.8SPCII. It came with a 1:11.25 twist bbl. They also offer a 1:7 twist bbl so you can shoot long/heavy bullets subsonic. You can also shoot lighter supers from this bbl with great accuracy. The bullets will not come apart,explode,melt,go into outter space,etc,etc. 11.25 vs 7 . . . that is a big difference.
    The above are my beliefs. YMMV --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    My Barrel is 1:8 twist and shoots them well, but just was wondering if increasing the length will help. Guess I'll load some up and find out. 1" groups is good IMO, but wanted to see if I could do any better. I'll post how it works out as soon as I test them.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns4545 View Post
    My Barrel is 1:8 twist and shoots them well, but just was wondering if increasing the length will help. Guess I'll load some up and find out. 1" groups is good IMO, but wanted to see if I could do any better. I'll post how it works out as soon as I test them.