Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

243 Win vs 6mm Creedmoor vs 6mm Rem

Any thoughts on these as long range target cartridges?

I like 243 because it's really common and if need be there is lots of factory ammo if I ever needed it.

The Rem has a slightly higher velocity typically. It is a nearly dead cartridge though so components are harder to come by.

The Creedmoor seems to have the fastest barrel twist rates (1:8 and 1:7.5) which is why it typically is loaded with 105-115gr bullets and the other 2 are usually 100 gr or less. Though since I would be reloading I can load them to wherever the rifle can stabilize. This is a new come and may fade out like the 6mm Rem making it harder to come by components.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Jury is still out on whether the 6mm Creed is going to take off like it’s bigger brother. I think it definitely has a leg up on .243 Win as it was designed from the onset to be a long distance target cartridge while the .243 Win was adapted to be a long range cartridge but that wasn’t the design intent.

This can be clearly seen on the SAAMI specs for the .243 Win which specifies a slower twist rate which isn’t good for stabilizing those heavier bullets needed to reach out. People have since chambered faster twist rate barrels in .243 Win and turned it into a target cartridge. As you have pointed out it isn’t hard to find factory ammo for, but you likely won’t find much of a selection of loads that are comparable bullet weights to 6mm Creed loads.

If your building a custom rifle .243 Win would be one to take a look at just from a component availability standpoint. An off the shelf rifle with a SAAMI twist rate is lacking when compared to the 6mm Creed.

As you said the 6mm Rem is a dying cartridge and I wouldn’t want to be the one to try and revive it.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm a big 243 fan. The 6 Creed, and 6mm, are pretty much equals, IMO. You MAY eek out 100 fps more than the243 with either of those cartridges, but 50fps is more like it. For the added cost of brass, the juice isn't worth the squeeze, IMO.

For the guys shooting factory ammo, yeah, the 6Creed wins, better ammo selection for long range.
    And, there seems to be more off the shelf, long range type, rifles chambered in the Creeds.

IF I were building or rebarrelling, 243 every time.
    By the same token, I'd go 260 Rem over 6.5 Creed, or 6.5-284.

Title
    Premium Member
    If I were going with a 6mm bullet, I would eliminate all the recoil too. 6 dasher has proven to be an excellent round

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ahab View Post
    If I were going with a 6mm bullet, I would eliminate all the recoil too. 6 dasher has proven to be an excellent round
    Isn't the dasher a little light for 1000 yards? I'd also like to possibly use this for deer hunting out to 300-400 yards. I'll have to look at the specs for the Dasher again. It's been a while.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ahab View Post
    Looks like the round is hot enough but brass is hard to come by. You have to get 6mm BR brass (which is expensive) and the fire form it or pay someone to hydro form it, increasing the cost even more...

Title
    Premium Member
    If brass cost is much of a factor then 6.5 cm will be the way to go. You can get once fired hornady brass cheap

Title
    Premium Member
    FYI . . . the Ruger American Predator is chambered in 6Creedmoor and has a 1:7.7 twist rate.
    Thinking on getting one of these after a little more research. Not much money either. AND . . . with 10 minutes of work,your gettin' another $150.+ worth of trigger.
    I have several other Ruger Americans. The "V" block bedding system is great and the accuracy is exceptional. ---- SAWMAN

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 10-28-2018 at 07:47 AM.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    The cm stuff is a big marketing scheme. The diff is the twist rate on barrels. From what I have heard they basically stole the .22/243 and created the 22 cm. Same thing with the new 8.4 or whatever, they copied the 338 Federal I guess. Thievery imo, and I am not a fan of that. I will pass and go with non-thief products. Just my opinion though.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
    The cm stuff is a big marketing scheme. The diff is the twist rate on barrels. From what I have heard they basically stole the .22/243 and created the 22 cm. Same thing with the new 8.4 or whatever, they copied the 338 Federal I guess. Thievery imo, and I am not a fan of that. I will pass and go with non-thief products. Just my opinion though.
    Yeah. The main reason I am leaning towards it is that there are lots of decent factory rifles that cost much less than a custom build and the 6mm CM has a faster twist rate than the 243 Win and 6mm Rem do in factory rifles.

I just want to make sure I wasn't overlooking with the comparison.