Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck sizing ?

Title
    Premium Member

Neck sizing ?

To date I have only ever FL sized my brass. I was looking into neck sizing for my bolt guns and Ive been looking at some for a couple calibers. Main question is if I got a Lee set it doesn’t bump the shoulder. If I need to set back the shoulder a couple thou after firing the Lee set is unusable. I looked at Forster also that comes with 3 collets and it bumps the shoulder also if needed. What do you guys recommend in this dept? I’m not sure I have a in depth knowledge of what I need to be looking for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I full length size everything.

When I started off hand loading I did some neck sizing, but that went away when I couldn’t ever see a difference between the ammo that was FL sized vs neck sized.

I know some people swear by it, but I really don’t think it does anything but keep you from using the rounds in multiple rifles.

For me it isn’t worth it.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    I just thought I’d get longer life out of my brass is why I’m looking. I only have one rifle in the calibers I load for so that’s not an issue for me (gun to gun) at least

Title
    Premium Member
    I have used nothing but Lee dies for years. Never have I had to bump the shoulder back! And I neck surgery zen after the very first time loading for my gun(s), there I full length size so the brass can conform to my gun(s). If shooting in more than one gun, your load won’t be so hot in one of them. Work loads for both of them or how many guns will shoot them.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a set of rcbs 308 dies that have both FL and neck sizing dies. As long as your load isn't real hot its not gonna stretch the case much. So you could do either for sizing. Personally i FL everything. Always have probably always will. As the last post stated you'll need a load for each gun. They all like something different. Yes it may shoot it but if your gonna take the time to load your own why shoot something that doesn't shoot well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Very well said EUDE

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrdswigert View Post
    Very well said EUDE

For me I started reloading for two reasons. Less money and better accuracy. I've been doing it since 1996. No I don't know everything or been loading as long as some. To this day i won't use a powder measure for my rifle. I still weigh every load. I want them to stack the bullets if i can do my part. At this point i don't care if it coated more to reload than buy factory ammo. I want the accuracy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Yes, I agree with you. As I weigh each powder charge for my rifles also. I love the accuracy that one can tune in on . Working up loads and how far from the lands and all it make reloading a challenge, but a darn good hobby for sure. Plus it gives me a sense of pride to spend $20.00 and get a natural buzz. Yes I am hooked on reloading. Like you I don’t care if it cost more or not. I will reload.

Title
    Premium Member
    The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
    Neck sizing helps to avoid working the brass too much, but I typically full length size anyhow.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Title
    Premium Member
    As long as you are using the same brass in the same bolt action gun neck sizing is ideal. The lee collet neck sizing dies are the best out there for neck sizing. I load a lot of old military calibers and this is the best way to keep the brass living a long life. If a couple rounds start getting hard to load I full length size the whole lot of brass. Usually that is after 5 to 8 neck sizings.