Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Light loads for paper punching

Anyone else here load light loads for old military rifles for punching paper? There are a group of us in central Illinois that have a monthly match shooting old military rifles off hand at 50 m. We run a handicap system and usually have a challenge match for a certain rifle or group of rifles. Next month is any WW1 pattern rifle in honor of the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War.

Rifles are generally WW2 and older patterns with factory sights. Peep sights are only allowed on rifles with patterns older then 1950. We allow sporting rifles too but they have to have their factory open sights.

We load lead or jacketed bullets with red dot, unique, SR4759, 4895, 4198, or trail boss as the usual powders. Great way to get these rifles that generally shoot high at short distances to shoot point of aim and easy on the shoulder. Most shoot four 20 shot relays so the recoil reduction is welcome.

What do you run for similar loads in these old rifles?