Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: QuickLOAD users

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
    I've got another odd one for you... I picked up some solid copper 185 gr bullets meant for a 50 GI, but I want to load them in my 500 Auto and possibly my 500 S&W revolver. I put a few of them on my scale and they actually weighed 180.0 gr +/- 0.1.

Cartridge: 500 S&W
    Weight: 180gr
    COAL: 1.975"
    Bullet Length: 0.601"
    Bullet Diameter: 0.500"
    Barrel Length: 18" for the AR10 and 6.5" for the Revolver
    Attachment 1271

Attachment 1272

Attachment 1270
    180gr 500 Magnum 18 Barrel.JPG

Some screaming velocities on that. Just a warning, it'll over expand and blow the petals off within the first few inches on the target, the remaining slug will penetrate a long ways.

180gr 500 Magnum 6.5 Barrel.JPG

Last edited by Jay Andrew; 07-12-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Title
    Premium Member

QuickLOAD users

I have a 458 american 2”. Basicly its 450 marlin shortened .100. Capacity is 69gr. I am shooting a 500 gr projectile that is 1.4” long at an oal of 2.8. Barrel length is 26”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by themazmanmechanic; 07-12-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    I apologize, I missed this post. Sometime Tapatalk doesn’t notify me when people post on threads that I am subscribed to. I’ll run this and post the results shortly

In the future if I don’t respond in a day, PM me and give me heads up.

No problem. I just assumed you were busy.

Thanks for the data! I was hoping to break 3000 fps but looks like I'll have to settle for 2900. Still smoking.

Not sure if I will shoot it in the revolver. I got thinking about it after I asked and I foresee the possibility of top strap cutting like the guys shooting high velocity 125 gr bullets in 357 Maximum.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by themazmanmechanic View Post
    I have a 458 american 2”. Basicly its 450 marlin shortened .100. Capacity is 69gr. I am shooting a 500 gr projectile that is 1.4” long at an oal of 2.8. Barrel length is 26”

QuickLOAD has this wildcat on file. Always amazing me what they have...

On the capacity did you measure that with H20? It's close to what QuickLOAD has on record (73.00gr) since case capacity is a sensitive metric, I just wanted to check before I over ride the value.

You wouldn't happen to have the make and model of the bullet? I just get the warm and fuzzies if I can use a bullet on file rather then altering an existing.

Whats your barrel length?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
    No problem. I just assumed you were busy.

Thanks for the data! I was hoping to break 3000 fps but looks like I'll have to settle for 2900. Still smoking.

Not sure if I will shoot it in the revolver. I got thinking about it after I asked and I foresee the possibility of top strap cutting like the guys shooting high velocity 125 gr bullets in 357 Maximum.

Yikes, yeah I hadn't thought of that. These rifle pressure revolver magnums rounds kinda have a reputation for being hard on top straps to begin with...a light bullet isn't going to help with that.

Title
    Premium Member

QuickLOAD users

I got the case capacity from the cartridge drawing, if they have it on file just use what they have, who am i to tell them anything? Hornady round nose interbond. 26” barrel

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    Yikes, yeah I hadn't thought of that. These rifle pressure revolver magnums rounds kinda have a reputation for being hard on top straps to begin with...a light bullet isn't going to help with that.
    I suppose shooting 2 or 3 just to see how they perform won't hurt but after that I'll stick to heavy stuff.

Title
    Premium Member
    This data is fantastic! Thank you greatly. Do you have time to run the 300 gr barnes tsx at 2.75”

Title
    Premium Member
    458 American 2in w-Barnes 300gr TSX.JPG
    Here you go! No Problem