Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: QuickLOAD users

Title
    Would you say that you use it often enough to make it worth while? Seems like it could be fun or interesting

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    For me, yes. However let me qualify it a bit. I enjoy loading kind of odd ball stuff, stuff you don’t find in the loading Manuel’s. Whether it be wildcat cartridges or just really light/heavy for caliber bullets.

I’m a nerd when it comes to stuff like that. So I enjoy the hell out of it. But I don’t think it’s for everyone. You can get your self in trouble pretty quick if you mess around with the wrong numbers , and give yourself a false sense of confidence.

For the casual reloader who wants to occasionally dabble in something not found in the books, I would say it could be worth it, but its not going to be something you use everyday. For someone who’s really into reloading and wants to be a complete nerd about it, it’s definitely worth it.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    This was exactly the kind of response I needed. It sounds like for me right now I can survive without it but I just wanted to hear from someone who did. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    For me, yes. However let me qualify it a bit. I enjoy loading kind of odd ball stuff, stuff you don’t find in the loading Manuel’s. Whether it be wildcat cartridges or just really light/heavy for caliber bullets.

I’m a nerd when it comes to stuff like that. So I enjoy the hell out of it. But I don’t think it’s for everyone. You can get your self in trouble pretty quick if you mess around with the wrong numbers , and give yourself a false sense of confidence.

For the casual reloader who wants to occasionally dabble in something not found in the books, I would say it could be worth it, but its not going to be something you use everyday. For someone who’s really into reloading and wants to be a complete nerd about it, it’s definitely worth it.

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    So to the one with quickloads

Any chance you can see what difference there is for

Imr red vs red dot
    Imr blue vs blue dot
    Imr green vs green dot

I load 9,10,38,357,45acp and have a steal of a deal on imr powder but need to know if burn rate pressure are similar to the dot powders. Thank you if you can’t just let me know. I swear I’m going to have to buy the program one of these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTREED View Post
    So to the one with quickloads

Any chance you can see what difference there is for

Imr red vs red dot
    Imr blue vs blue dot
    Imr green vs green dot

I load 9,10,38,357,45acp and have a steal of a deal on imr powder but need to know if burn rate pressure are similar to the dot powders. Thank you if you can’t just let me know. I swear I’m going to have to buy the program one of these days

Definitely can do. Green dot and red dot are typically only for shot shell, they have funny burn characteristics when they are loaded to higher pressures. Not saying you can’t do it, just be careful. I have a canister of Red Dot I was eyeballing for use in my 45.

It would be helpful to know bullet, COAL and barrel length.

I’ll run it all tomorrow.

Title
    Premium Member
    Definitely can do. Green dot and red dot are typically only for shot shell, they have funny burn characteristics when they are loaded to higher pressures. Not saying you can’t do it, just be careful. I have a canister of Red Dot I was eyeballing for use in my 45.

It would be helpful to know bullet, COAL and barrel length.

I’ll run it all tomorrow.

I use xtreme bullets for all the calibers I run Sammi for coal 4” 9mm 5” for the rest 6” for 10mm

What I have going on is the imr color powders hit the shelf at local shop and owner is giving me a deal at $10 a pound out the door so if it can be used for pistol loads I’d be set with powder for 10 years lol

Title
    Premium Member
    I have use Quickload since it came out and have never forgot the main thing they tell you, back the results up with printed data, which I always do!!! I have seen hundreds of load workups that show as good when they are actually way over the limit. Be VERY careful when using QuickLoads unless you have a firm grip on ballistics and the physics of them. Sierra bullets investigated the data UNTIL they found many discrepancies then dropped its information totally.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rumaco View Post
    I have use Quickload since it came out and have never forgot the main thing they tell you, back the results up with printed data, which I always do!!! I have seen hundreds of load workups that show as good when they are actually way over the limit. Be VERY careful when using QuickLoads unless you have a firm grip on ballistics and the physics of them. Sierra bullets investigated the data UNTIL they found many discrepancies then dropped its information totally.
    I couldn’t agree more. I’ve used QuickLOAD when I was doing load work ups in a professional lab. Usually the results are close, but there is the odd exception. I have found that if QuickLOAD is used as a reference it is a very handy tool.

I refer to the SAAMI Manuel when it comes to double checking MAP pressures rather then rely on the software. I set the max loads to ten percent under SAAMI MAP which is a good deal under proof loads. Typically I work up to that load looking for pressure signs.

When it comes to wildcatting or developing loads that are not in print, such as subsonics, or light for caliber loads, often times there is no print data. It has been my experience that QuickLOAD can be used safety to develop a load, as long a you understand a thing or two about load development, powder burn rates, and the limitations of the software.

For those who don’t, it can give them a false sense of confidence. So it’s a useful tool but can be a dangerous tool in the wrong hands.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTREED View Post
    I use xtreme bullets for all the calibers I run Sammi for coal 4” 9mm 5” for the rest 6” for 10mm

What I have going on is the imr color powders hit the shelf at local shop and owner is giving me a deal at $10 a pound out the door so if it can be used for pistol loads I’d be set with powder for 10 years lol

So I checked QuickLOAD and my current version does not have the new IMR “Red, Blue, Green”. Powders listed. I need to get the update CD and see if the powders have been added.

It’s a phenomenal deal on powders, I wish I could help, but all I can Model is the Alliant powders.

Title
    Premium Member
    So I checked QuickLOAD and my current version does not have the new IMR “Red, Blue, Green”. Powders listed. I need to get the update CD and see if the powders have been added.

It’s a phenomenal deal on powders, I wish I could help, but all I can Model is the Alliant powders.

Thanks for trying according to IMR customer service the powders are similar just need to reduce it a little lower than dot starting charges