Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: QuickLOAD users

Title
    Premium Member
    If you can I have a load for you to help me out with. I recently acquired 125gr hard cast .327 Federal mag, but all the loads and books I have seen only go up to 115gr. I have been using Lil Gun and W231 for powders. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Racinglizard82 View Post
    If you can I have a load for you to help me out with. I recently acquired 125gr hard cast .327 Federal mag, but all the loads and books I have seen only go up to 115gr. I have been using Lil Gun and W231 for powders. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Got it. For this run I used a .311 127gr NOE bullet. I did bump up bullet diameter to .312. Since no COAL was specified I used the default COAL of 1.475". I did limit the pressure to 40500psi (10% below max) and assumed an 80% loading density. Barrel length was left at default of 4".

Suggested Loads 327 Fed 127gr.PNG

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks you. That's what I have been looking for. Now to start loading and testing.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
    500 AutoMax Starline brass 18" barrel AR10, 700gr Hardcast gas check Matt's Bullet, CFE BLK and Lil Gun unless a faster powder might be better like AA#2 or maybe #7. Load Data I have for Lil gun is 27.0-27.5 gr. Don't have any for the others.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I've done some searching and found a cast bullet mold maker which has some data for a 694gr Cast bullet in .50 Cal that may be similar to enough to the Matt's Hardcast that we can learn thing or two about what powder may be worth while trying in your load. Lil' Gun is near the top but H110 and it's brother Win 296 are listed as the top two powders. I manually edited the bullet from 694gr to 700gr to see if that would make a significant difference and it altered the results by about a .1gr or so. Listed are the results for the 700gr.

Cartridge COAL was assumed to be 2.300in

Suggested Loads 500 Automax 700gr Cast.PNG

Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Premium Member
    These 700 gr bullets are averaging 689 gr and are 1.377" long and 0.501". I have 3 COAL's. 2.375", 2.275" and 2.265". I suspect the last 2 are so close the difference will be minimal. 500 AutoMax/S&W.

Any chance you can run quick load for these numbers. Please and Thanks.

Title
    Premium Member
    Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you. Hopefully this helps.

I set the max pressure to 55kpsi which is about 7,000psi under SAAMI MAP of 62kpsi. This builds in a margin of safety. I do not know how sensitive your gas system is (assuming this is an AR-10) so the powders that make the top of the list may or may not be suitable for reliable cycling.

I used an NOE bullet mold that is similar to the bullets you are showing. I had to manually adjust the bullet weight to 690gr, despite this the bullet is listed at 694gr just be aware that I did run it at 690 and the results are at 690 not 694 as listed on the sheet. You should be able to go to the NOE website and look up the bullet mold that is listed on the sheet and compare it to your bullet.

I assumed the barrel length is 16" so all velocities are based off a 16" barrel.

Scenario #1

2.375.PNG

Scenario #2
    2.275.PNG

Scenario #3

2.265.PNG

Last edited by Jay Andrew; 01-21-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome! Thanks! I was worried you might not get back to me at all since you hadn't posted on the forum in a while.

Title
    What kinds of things are you limited by?
    I’ve contemplated getting quickload to help me with my 358 Yeti just to keep it safe. I’d rather run a program to see if some combination of components will be safe rather than wing it and risk injury. We have a little bit of load data but bullet selection is slim in the data. What specific info would be needed to successfully use this program and develop safe rounds?

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    I have the forum on my phone, so I keep tabs on it but I’m not always actively participating in the conversation. I do try and keep tabs on this thread though Incase anyone hits me up for some QuickLOAD stuff. It might take me a minute since I have to get to my computer and run the modeling.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    What kinds of things are you limited by?
    I’ve contemplated getting quickload to help me with my 358 Yeti just to keep it safe. I’d rather run a program to see if some combination of components will be safe rather than wing it and risk injury. We have a little bit of load data but bullet selection is slim in the data. What specific info would be needed to successfully use this program and develop safe rounds?
    The first thing is if QuickLOAD has the cartridge in its database. The data base is pretty large so usually there is a pretty good chance it’s in there.

The second is if you can find the bullet your using. With cast bullets or oddball bullets this can sometimes be tricky. However usually I can get something pretty close. You typically want to get a bullet with the same weight, and shank length. Both of those factors have the greatest influence on pressure.

I have found that QuickLOAD’s powder data base is pretty good but some popular powders such as Superformance is missing.

The beyond that the basic info I need is

COAL
    Barrel Length

It also helpful to know what pressures you are loading to. QuickLOAD has it in cartridge data base but as a rule of thumb I like to load five to ten percent below the listed pressure. If it’s not a SAAMI cartridge typically you can go off the parent case or if the developer of the cartridge lists the pressure, use that as a max.

QuickLOAD is a modeling software that doesn’t account for every variable. In the modeling world there is a saying “Garbage in Garbage Out”. Meaning if the inputs aren’t accurate you really can’t trust the outputs. There are several different inputs you can dick with, but unless you know how to make those measurements for your given rifle you are best to leave them at the defaults.

Primers aren’t modeled, nor is throat erosion, tight bores, or the variances between Lots of powder. For this reason I follow the ten percent rule when using QuickLOAD.

With that said it’s a fun software to play “What if” and I do it all the time.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.