Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member
    The Land of the Free Because of the Brave

Why you don't shoot someone else's reloads

A friend of my dad's sent me two boxes of reloads that he had bought off of a commercial reloading operation. The friend sold his .308 and no longer had anything to shoot the rounds through. Of course, I decided to break them down since I don't shoot other loaders work. This Is what I found:

31 Lake City 7.62 cases and 9 commercial .308

3 obviously different powders

4 different bullets with two different weights

All 40 cases were over the max overall length (+.010 - .040)

2 loaded cracked cases

And corrosion on the base of one of the bullets

Keep this in mind before you drop the hammer on someone else's work product.

Similar Threads:
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s definitely a valuable lesson. Different powders different bullets, corrosion. GEESH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a friend who got into reloading, but his attention to detail isn’t what it should be. Every time I consider shooting some ones reloads I end up thinking of him.

It always a moral question, do you try and teach someone how to reload even if you know they aren’t the type of person who should, or do you refuse and let them go at it on their own?

Title
    Premium Member
    I will be responsible to myself for my own work . . . but not someone elses. PERIOD !! --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    My sister bought a glock 9mm. New took to range to shoot. Bought several boxs of blazier ammo on sale. When shooting wouldn't cycle, jammed. Same on. Another 9mm differant maker same result. Upon further inspection of ammo all where mixed head and been reloaded and store selling. Donno if sold as reloads. But one at range with sister don't shoot others reloads. Have watched pull bullets remove powder over years because not happy with own reloads

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    When asked if I would sell some of my reloads, my response is usually "I reload for my own amusement, so, no ,they're not for sale" I will use reloads from my reloading mentor, because he is the guy that taught me how to load high quality ammo, and how to recognize and fix mistakes.

Title
    Premium Member
    I don't shoot others' reloads unless they're someone I know and trust to do things right. And I generally don't like to let others shoot *my* reloads just in case I screwed something up, I'd rather it happen to me than someone else. And I definitely don't let my reloads go through a friend's gun without a nice disclaimer that they're my reloads to shoot at their own discretion.

Title
    Premium Member
    Only time I shot someone else's reloads is when I bought my Savage 6BR benchrest gun at a lgs. About 100 reloads came with the package when the owner had an injury that prevented him from competing any longer. My lgs guy knows the previous owner personally and convinced me that I should at least consider it. After pulling a handful of rounds and finding them very exact on everything measurable I did go ahead and shoot them and they were fantastic and gave me a great place to start. Otherwise NO, I wouldn't shoot someone else's reloads.

Title
    Premium Member
    I once bought a box of Commercially produced reloads. This
    is when I had been hand loading for about a year, still pretty brand new to hand loading.
    Im drawing a blank on the name but I know I still use the brass from them to this day, lol.
    I’ll have to look in the cabinet.
    Anyway.
    Generally speaking I don’t use others’ hand loads.
    I do, however, load .308 for my buddy on occasion.
    I wouldn’t do it for just anyone, but in this
    instance it makes practical sense.

What I don’t do, is load up a box and send him on his way, no.
    I may load some ammo and be working up a load, But I’m the one who shoots first and makes sure all is good before I turn the rifle over to him.
    This is practiced for each increment in powder charge or for any component change.

Title
    I never shoot others garage experiments, and I only allow my loads to be shot if that person was with me helping load....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro