Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

223 with IMR 4064

Has anyone used IMR 4064 in 223 rem? I have a lot of 4064 due to my other rifles I load. I normally used h335 for bulk loading 223 but just wondered if anyone had any experience.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve used it before for 68-69gr bullets, with good results. I think it may be a little on the slow side for lighter weight bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Gotcha. I mostly am loading up 55gr bullets. Only reason I'm considering it is because I have a good amount of 4064 and it's one of the cheapest I can buy locally where I live. My local Walmart has it for $24 a pound.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I’ve used it before for 68-69gr bullets, with good results. I think it may be a little on the slow side for lighter weight bullets.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBickett0109 View Post
    Gotcha. I mostly am loading up 55gr bullets. Only reason I'm considering it is because I have a good amount of 4064 and it's one of the cheapest I can buy locally where I live. My local Walmart has it for $24 a pound.

$24 a pound is great. I use it a bunch of it too for other rifles. Wish I could find it at that price.

Title
    Premium Member
    Buddy shoots competitively, 75s & 77s. Shot very well with 4064 but he was advised by the old pros that he could do better, easier, with Varget. Agree about 55 a tad light.

Title
    Premium Member
    4064 and varget are very close in burn rate. The problem with 4064 is the sticks are so long and packing them into a 223 is a challenge. I use lots of varget with my 52 and 69 gr match loads in a 233. Nothing wrong with using 4064 in 233 it just has it challenges.

Title
    Premium Member
    I've had good luck with 4064 out of my 20" AR running 75 grain bullets. Definitely a compressed load with how long this powder is. I've never chronographed them, but they shot tight at 100 & 200 yards. I've used 4064 with some success for 55 grain projectiles as well. Again, I don't know how fast I was pushing them, as this was a couple years back when I first started loading and didn't have a chronograph (or any rifle powder other than 4064 to load in my 223 lol). As for today, I use H335 for my 50 & 55 grain loads. I've also heard good things about benchmark, but I haven't used it myself.
    If you want to use 4064 because it's cheap for you and you want to crank out some plinking ammo, I'd say go for it. All of the 55 grain stuff I loaded worked well enough to hit an 8" plate at 200 yards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome. Thank you so much for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBCates View Post
    I've had good luck with 4064 out of my 20" AR running 75 grain bullets. Definitely a compressed load with how long this powder is. I've never chronographed them, but they shot tight at 100 & 200 yards. I've used 4064 with some success for 55 grain projectiles as well. Again, I don't know how fast I was pushing them, as this was a couple years back when I first started loading and didn't have a chronograph (or any rifle powder other than 4064 to load in my 223 lol). As for today, I use H335 for my 50 & 55 grain loads. I've also heard good things about benchmark, but I haven't used it myself.
    If you want to use 4064 because it's cheap for you and you want to crank out some plinking ammo, I'd say go for it. All of the 55 grain stuff I loaded worked well enough to hit an 8" plate at 200 yards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I used IMR 4064 with 55 grain bullets out of an AR and was getting groups just under 1.5" at 100 yards. My average speed was 2864 FPS out of a 16 inch barrel, other loads were faster but not as accurate. I am not the best shot and I had kind of a cheap barrel at the time so I would suspect better groups can be had with that combo.

Title
    Premium Member
    I've had some impressive groups with SMKs and 4064 at 100yds out of a 20" 5.56-chambered AR. I can get reasonably close group sizes with H335 and 55gr nosler varmints, and since H335 meters much better, it has become my load for my .223/5.56 rifles.