Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Suppresser friendly powder

Well I hope I’m doing this right, first time posting in the new forum and slowly learning how to use it. Thank you by the way Wes.
    I’ve been reloading for a few years. I got a suppressor a couple years ago, a silencer co. 338 big bore, and have had great success with it. I have several good loads worked up for subsonic and super from .223/556 to 338 Norma magnum. My question is for the .223/556 supersonic loads through the suppressor. Anybody have a cleaner powder to use besides RL -15. Man that stuff is baaadddd dirty on an AR-15 ! My last outing resulted in my first ever fail to chamber due to the carbon buildup after only 40 rounds. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Title
    Premium Member
    Mine gets dirty no matter what I use so I switched to piston drive upper world of difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you SGTREED, I’m going to look into the piston system. Never had a reason till now. I’ve got to figure out how to stop a lot of the blowback.

Title
    Premium Member
    I use WIN748, CFE223, and sometimes RL7 in my 223 loads. The suppressor will make a huge difference in the dirtiness of the gun because of all the added back pressure and gas.

I have done a few things to help my AR run cleaner suppressed. One is an adjustable gas block, I like the Superlative Arms as it vents to unneeded gas out the front of the block. I use the adjustable blocks on my target rifles. I also have the Innovative Arms WAR receiver on a couple rifles. The receiver has a inline valve and proprietary gas tube that allows you to select loud or quiet shooting. I use the WAR on my defensive rifles, and it makes a HUGE difference in gas face and cleanliness!! I strongly recommend the WAR if you don't want to worry about tuning a gas block to different loads. Just be aware of the barrel's gas port size. The WAR was designed to run between a range of sizes, and my Ballistic Advantage 14.5 and 10.3 barrels needed the port opened up slightly to run reliably.

Also consider the different types of suppressor give different amounts of back pressure. My SilencerCo Specwar K is notably worse in this regard than my SilencerCo Omega. I assume you run the Harvester Big Bore? I have a Harvester 300 and love it on my precision 308 and hunting rifle!!

Last edited by UH60_TrunkMonkey; 07-31-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ Vaughn View Post
    Well I hope I’m doing this right, first time posting in the new forum and slowly learning how to use it. Thank you by the way Wes.
    I’ve been reloading for a few years. I got a suppressor a couple years ago, a silencer co. 338 big bore, and have had great success with it. I have several good loads worked up for subsonic and super from .223/556 to 338 Norma magnum. My question is for the .223/556 supersonic loads through the suppressor. Anybody have a cleaner powder to use besides RL -15. Man that stuff is baaadddd dirty on an AR-15 ! My last outing resulted in my first ever fail to chamber due to the carbon buildup after only 40 rounds. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Vihtavouri powers are some of the cleanest powders to use when making ammo for use with suppressors.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve been using CFE blk with great success in 300blk super and sub also super 556 using AAC 7.62 sdn6 and sdn556

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    There is NO MAGIC to this...........they all foul a supressor! DAKOTA supressors which are one of the best out there suggest cleaning every 100 rounds. I run mine through steel media.....perfect clean!

Title
    Premium Member
    Has anyone run H335 in a suppressed 223 AR? I have a pound of it and plan on comparing the dirtiness level of it to W748.

Title
    Premium Member
    I flew UH-1B and C gunships in Vietnam, then scouts and then CH-53 cranes and CH-47s for about 23 years. Got out just before the UH-60s came out. Nice aircraft for sure.

Nul Bastardo Carborundum. 48th Assault Helicopter Company (Dong Ha) UH-1C gunships, I corps Vietnam (JOKERS)