Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Wheel weights for casting

I’ve asked and looked, looked and asked. I can’t locate any locally. Either there’s too many casters in my area or the shops would rather scrap it all.

Regardless, I found someone somewhat close that has more than 800lbs (not smelted yet). So sill include steel clips and some zinc as well.

I feel that he is asking a steep price, but I may be just too cheap. He said $700 for all of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Biggest reason its harder to find lead wheel weights is they make them from zinc now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernTacoma View Post
    I’ve asked and looked, looked and asked. I can’t locate any locally. Either there’s too many casters in my area or the shops would rather scrap it all.

Regardless, I found someone somewhat close that has more than 800lbs (not smelted yet). So sill include steel clips and some zinc as well.

I feel that he is asking a steep price, but I may be just too cheap. He said $700 for all of it

Yeah that's way too high, I've bought it already in ingots for that. Cause only about 75% is probably usable lead if that. I own an automotive shop and do tires so I normally get enough for personal use. But buy antimony for a dollar a pound. Call the scrap yard and see what they would give.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane P View Post
    Yeah that's way too high, I've bought it already in ingots for that. Cause only about 75% is probably usable lead if that. I own an automotive shop and do tires so I normally get enough for personal use. But buy antimony for a dollar a pound. Call the scrap yard and see what they would give.

That’s what I thought too. I did but 50lbs already in ingots a few months ago for $1 per pound. $1 per pound for raw wheel weights? And I have to drive 4 hours round trip to pick it up....

Title
    Premium Member
    Salvage/junk yards, bring a five gallon pail and ask them how much they would charge you for a bucket. Sometimes they have them in buckets, sometimes you have to go out an collect your own.

Usually I try and find the small town family run shops. Seems like those guys always have some and they are more willing to work with you then the big boys.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    Salvage/junk yards, bring a five gallon pail and ask them how much they would charge you for a bucket. Sometimes they have them in buckets, sometimes you have to go out an collect your own.

Usually I try and find the small town family run shops. Seems like those guys always have some and they are more willing to work with you then the big boys.

The use to be two in my small town and could buy brass and lead competivly. One went out of business and the other is saying the laws have changed and they can't sell either of them. Anyone else heard of this?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane P View Post
    The use to be two in my small town and could buy brass and lead competivly. One went out of business and the other is saying the laws have changed and they can't sell either of them. Anyone else heard of this?

What he should have said was. He's got a buddy that needs it now. Lol. But no I haven't heard of a law change. If that were the case then how can these big metal companies sell you lead.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Title
    Before I retired I managed hazardous waste and Universal waste at a large semiconductor factory where I worked. Some states regulate lead as a Universal waste and track it's desposal to large recyclers licenced to receive it. Based on how much they generate they can fall into these requirments.most all the larger chain tire stores in my area have a recycler under contract to pick it up. Even my local Wal-Mart auto shop recycles there lead. Only place I have a chance is the few and far between small time mom & pop shops. There is a somewhat quiet Environmental war going on against the "evil element"

Title
    Premium Member
    Look up Metalshippers.com In their search put Lyman #2. They also sell everything you need for metal for casting. They've been the cheapest I've found so far. Since my boss uses lead alot he's gonna check with his supplier and see what he can get me premixed for. They're pretty good to him because he buys like $10,000 worth every cpl months. He was even nice enough to give me some of the lead drippings from the shop. I appreciate his generosity but I'll not be using it. He gave me 100lbs. However it was so dirty it took me 2 1/2 to 3 hrs to get 10lbs. And almost ruined a pot.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk