Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

26 Nosler vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Anyone here know much about the 26 Nosler? Seems like it would have a little more punch than the 6.5CM but I was curious if anyone had issues with it or know of pros and cons compared to other 6.5's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Might want to take a look at the 260Rem after it has been AI'ed also.
    Fast,accurate,brass lasts a long time. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    The 26 Nosler does have more punch than the creedmoor. But the cost of that extra punch, is extra recoil. So depending on what you are wanting to do with it, depends if the extra is worth it. The creedmoor is an adequate hunting cartridge out to the limits to most people’s ability, and is a very capable 1000 years target round, with minimal recoil. The 26 Nosler will definitely get it done quicker and farther, but it will hit your wallet and shoulder a little harder. I don’t own either, but know people who have them. My friend who has the 6.5 Nosler, also has a 6.5x47 lapua, which he enjoys shooting more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    The 26 Nosler does have more punch than the creedmoor. But the cost of that extra punch, is extra recoil. So depending on what you are wanting to do with it, depends if the extra is worth it. The creedmoor is an adequate hunting cartridge out to the limits to most people’s ability, and is a very capable 1000 years target round, with minimal recoil. The 26 Nosler will definitely get it done quicker and farther, but it will hit your wallet and shoulder a little harder. I don’t own either, but know people who have them. My friend who has the 6.5 Nosler, also has a 6.5x47 lapua, which he enjoys shooting more.

I can reload so I imagine that brings the costs a little closer together. I'd like to use it for long range shooting and short and medium range hunting. If the rifle ends up being heavier than I want to pack I'll just keep using my light weight 30-06 for hunting and use the other for target shooting. I'd like something with a little less recoil but I'm not overly concerned with recoil.

Hornady's new 300 PRC and 6.5 PRC look pretty nice but being so new there aren't a lot of options for rifles yet. The 26 Nosler looks like a good option that I imagine would outperform the 6.5 PRC while not being miserable to target shoot like a 30 cal magnum would be.

The 260 Rem AI looked good too but I don't really want to go through having to fire form brass and it looked like I'd have to have a custom rifle built for it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
    I can reload so I imagine that brings the costs a little closer together. I'd like to use it for long range shooting and short and medium range hunting. If the rifle ends up being heavier than I want to pack I'll just keep using my light weight 30-06 for hunting and use the other for target shooting. I'd like something with a little less recoil but I'm not overly concerned with recoil.

Hornady's new 300 PRC and 6.5 PRC look pretty nice but being so new there aren't a lot of options for rifles yet. The 26 Nosler looks like a good option that I imagine would outperform the 6.5 PRC while not being miserable to target shoot like a 30 cal magnum would be.

The 260 Rem AI looked good too but I don't really want to go through having to fire form brass and it looked like I'd have to have a custom rifle built for it.

It’s a really tough call because everything is so subjective. What’s best for me, may not be best for you. For me personally, the creedmoor would more fit the bill for what you described. To build a rifle in a magnum caliber that would be comfortable to shoot for long periods of time target shooting would be way to heavy to hunt with. The affects of recoil on a shooter are cumulative, and add up, causing a person to shoot worse whether they realize it or not. A soft kicking round, like the creedmoor, could be made light enough to hunt with and still be good for sustained shot strings for target shooting. Years ago I did all of my long range target work with a 13lb rifle chambered in 6-284. That was perfect for me.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    It’s a really tough call because everything is so subjective. What’s best for me, may not be best for you. For me personally, the creedmoor would more fit the bill for what you described. To build a rifle in a magnum caliber that would be comfortable to shoot for long periods of time target shooting would be way to heavy to hunt with. The affects of recoil on a shooter are cumulative, and add up, causing a person to shoot worse whether they realize it or not. A soft kicking round, like the creedmoor, could be made light enough to hunt with and still be good for sustained shot strings for target shooting. Years ago I did all of my long range target work with a 13lb rifle chambered in 6-284. That was perfect for me.

Would there really be that much more recoil? I don't usually have much trouble shooting 20-40 rounds at the range with my 30-06 and it's probably 9lbs with the bipod and scope on it.

Title
    Premium Member
    It is considerably more.

Title
    Premium Member
    It all boils down to how fast do you want (need) to push a bullet and of what caliber ??
    How fast do you need to have the bullet going,at what distance ??
    All this talk about the "magical" 1000yds kinda makes me laugh. Talking 1300,1400,etc,etc. makes me laugh out loud. This . . UNLESS . . we're just talking punching paper for the fun of it.
    Hunting - - -> How will any given bullets terminal performance be at the farther ranges. How about at "just/only" 600yds not to mention 1000yds+. Will it have the energy of a 22mag ?? Will it penetrate and expand like a M855 ??
    Then we have the laws of deminishing returns. IOW . . overbore chamberings and felt recoil. The PRC's come to mind. As does the 6.5-300Wby,26Nosler,and some other of the "new and better" chamberings. A good "whack" on the shoulder and a quickly burned out barrel is worth . . . what ?? --- SAWMAN
    Question: What wont the 308Win do. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    It all boils down to how fast do you want (need) to push a bullet and of what caliber ??
    How fast do you need to have the bullet going,at what distance ??
    All this talk about the "magical" 1000yds kinda makes me laugh. Talking 1300,1400,etc,etc. makes me laugh out loud. This . . UNLESS . . we're just talking punching paper for the fun of it.
    Hunting - - -> How will any given bullets terminal performance be at the farther ranges. How about at "just/only" 600yds not to mention 1000yds+. Will it have the energy of a 22mag ?? Will it penetrate and expand like a M855 ??
    Then we have the laws of deminishing returns. IOW . . overbore chamberings and felt recoil. The PRC's come to mind. As does the 6.5-300Wby,26Nosler,and some other of the "new and better" chamberings. A good "whack" on the shoulder and a quickly burned out barrel is worth . . . what ?? --- SAWMAN
    Question: What wont the 308Win do. --- SAWMAN
    I have no desire to hunt long range. Maybe medium range at most if the rifle, ammo and I can reliably do it. I've never shot game passed 250 yards because I don't like risking wounding animals.

This will be for mostly punching paper at long distances. My local range goes out to 1100 yards and another nearby range goes out to 1500.

Title
    Premium Member
    I shot 1000yds in Maine for several years. It has to be approached as as science. It is a ton of fun to study and learn everything the influences the shot.
    I used a 30-378Wby Mag launching a 220gr SMK at 3200fps. I never got really great at it but of course that was in the time before all the ballistic computers and the VLD bullets of today. Back then it was alot of trial and error. More actual shooting.
    When I moved down to Fla. I used the gun for coyotes at 600yds+ but found it kinda a waste of money,and sold the gun.
    Remembering . . . even with some great equipment it is extremely hard to consistantly hit a 55gal drum at 1000yds. To put 5 shots into MOA at that range is damn hard . . . BUT REALLY FUN !! --- SAWMAN

XM177E2