Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

What’s your runout looking like?

I cannot seem to get better than .002 and I’m not sure if I should keep trying for the magical less than .001 or not.

My reloads seem to shoot extremely well but we all know there’s more to the hobby than small groups and consistent speeds, there’s also pride and the chase for perfection

What’s everyone’s techniques for getting really low runout and what tools are you using to check?

I have the Sinclair mechanical gauge and it seems to work really well.

Title
    Premium Member
    On my precision 6.5 Creedmoor and .223 loads, I use Redding body dies and Forster bushing bump neck sizing dies to set neck tension. Also high side neck turn to remove uneven areas, however my Lapua brass in those calibers didn't need neck turning, just other brands. For seating I use Forster Ultra Micrometer Seating dies. Run-out is usually 0.001-0.000 on my run-out gauge. Case prep, quality brass, quality projectiles, and quality dies definitely help.

"Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve often thought about checking, I’ve got no shortage of precision rifles, but I never have. I’ve always been able to get my rifles to shoot “well enough” for what I expected out of them. part of me doesn’t want to know either. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Personally . . . I try for .003".
    If youR at .002" IMHO that will not effect accuracy. There are other things more important. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the responses fellas :-)

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMammoth View Post
    I cannot seem to get better than .002 and I’m not sure if I should keep trying for the magical less than .001 or not.

My reloads seem to shoot extremely well but we all know there’s more to the hobby than small groups and consistent speeds, there’s also pride and the chase for perfection

What’s everyone’s techniques for getting really low runout and what tools are you using to check?

I have the Sinclair mechanical gauge and it seems to work really well.
    With a level bench and a level press and Redding type S dies you will get 0 run out. I got rid of my Hornaday checker. With these new bushing dies they make it almost goof proof.