Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 45 Colt

Title
    Premium Member

45 Colt

I've never done BP loading, but I've been reloading for years. I have a bunch of 250gr LRNFP .452 that I'd like to try loading over black powder for 45 colt. Are there any differences between the process for smokeless vs. BP? What load data is out there?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Administrator
    Pretty hard to get black powder these days (At least here in WA)
    There should be load data out there somewhere and hopefully someone here will chime in with some.

Title
    Premium Member
    Load by volume not weight with black powder I use the Lyman scoop that comes with the does one scoop per shell 3f or P pyrodex works well

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Dies dam Auto correct

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeb English View Post
    Load by volume not weight with black powder I use the Lyman scoop that comes with the does one scoop per shell 3f or P pyrodex works well

Should the load be compressed? Seems I had read that you don't really want extra space when using BP.

Title
    Premium Member
    Right at base of bullet is about where the scoop put the 44 mag. I used the black powder measure for the 45/70 and backed it off to 65 grains by volume using 405 grain bullet for example. But ya definitely don't go light! Just figure out where bullet will end up and fill to there. The more bullet the less powder.

Title
    With Black powder the load must be slightly compressed, zero space between the base of the bullet and the powder.Black powder is an explosive not a propellant like smokless powder

Title
    Been loading Black in 45-70 and 45 Colt, you can't overcharge BP. I don't remember how many grains I use but if you figure out your seating depth, then fill enough BP so that you can compress the load about an 1/8 inch or so. If you use a wad, figure that in and use the wad to compress, don't use the bullet to compress. #1 Rule - NO Air Space between bullet and powder under ANY circumstances!