Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Lead splice cases

I have access to a large amount of lead splice cases. They were used to splice telephone cables together back in the day. Has anyone smelted this stuff down? It's full of a very thick and very sticky fluid. I'm wondering if this stuff will burn off or if it's going to ruin my batch? I tried to google it with no luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbeaton View Post
    I have access to a large amount of lead splice cases. They were used to splice telephone cables together back in the day. Has anyone smelted this stuff down? It's full of a very thick and very sticky fluid. I'm wondering if this stuff will burn off or if it's going to ruin my batch? I tried to google it with no luck

When I melt stuff like that down I use a cutting torch outside. At 2000 degrees you'll burn off all the trash pretty easy. Where respirator if it

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I use my old 10lb pot to clean my lead first. That way my bottom pour stays nice and clean. Plus the smaller pot seems to work a little easier since you're only doing a little at a time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane P View Post
    When I melt stuff like that down I use a cutting torch outside. At 2000 degrees you'll burn off all the trash pretty easy. Where respirator if it

I don't recommend that at all. You want to keep the temperature below lead's boiling point.

The gunk will typically burn off. I use a propane torch to light the smoke up when I'm smelting. It doesn't smoke nearly as bad when it's on fire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    I don't recommend that at all. You want to keep the temperature below lead's boiling point.

The gunk will typically burn off. I use a propane torch to light the smoke up when I'm smelting. It doesn't smoke nearly as bad when it's on fire.

Yeah I’m not sure about the torch method. It’s a petroleum product. You think that would smoke off? It cleans up with gasoline when you get it on your hands. I just don’t want to ruin all this lead.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post

My bullets turn out great. Ben doing it for years. Everybody has a technique. That's just my first melt and it's in a strainer so it reaches temp and into the first mold it goes.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane P View Post
    My bullets turn out great. Ben doing it for years. Everybody has a technique. That's just my first melt and it's in a strainer so it reaches temp and into the first mold it goes.

Those do look good but did they come from a splice case?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbeaton View Post
    Those do look good but did they come from a splice case?

No sir wheel weight