Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder coating

Title
    Premium Member

Powder coating

How is the best way to powder coat bullets?

Title
    Premium Member
    Many ways to do it. Look at Elvis Ammo on you tube he has many videos on the subject.

Title
    Premium Member
    I'll do that. Thanks

Title
    Premium Member
    I personally use the "shake and bake" method. I use an old kool whip container, add bullets and powder. Shake like hell. Dump thru a mesh screen, and onto a tray wrapped in non-stick foil. Then I bake in an old convection oven in my garage.

I tried the spray gun since I already had one for motorcycle and boat parts. It's too much work for what I get out of it.

Some guys tumble in a dedicated bowl for their brass tumbler. I don't do that either because shaking by hand works fine for me.

You're going to have to experiment and find out what works best for you. Weather/humidity is a huge variable for what works for some but not others.

I happen to live in S. Florida. In theory, some of what works for me shouldn't because of the humidity. But somehow it's working.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    I personally use the "shake and bake" method. I use an old kool whip container, add bullets and powder. Shake like hell. Dump thru a mesh screen, and onto a tray wrapped in non-stick foil. Then I bake in an old convection oven in my garage.

I tried the spray gun since I already had one for motorcycle and boat parts. It's too much work for what I get out of it.

Some guys tumble in a dedicated bowl for their brass tumbler. I don't do that either because shaking by hand works fine for me.

You're going to have to experiment and find out what works best for you. Weather/humidity is a huge variable for what works for some but not others.

I happen to live in S. Florida. In theory, some of what works for me shouldn't because of the humidity. But somehow it's working.

Thank's. I live in central North Carolina. Probably not quite as much humidity but not far off from you.

Title
    Premium Member
    i tried the cool whip container and shake it method, I didn't get the results that others have. I got the HF powder gun and it does a fine job. my method is kinda tedious but I like the results so far. I'm only doing 300 BO now, i might move on to other calibers later on.
    65_160821.jpg

Title
    Premium Member
    I use acetone to mix with powder and thin it accordingly and just drop bullets in and then use medical tweezers to put on non stick foil and then bake,,,,,tedious but I dont powder coat a lot of lead bullets since Wes has plated so cheap.

[I][B][COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Some people never have time to do it right the first time but always find time to do it twice[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/I]

Title
    Premium Member
    I've been reading up on it. Hitek powder coating has all the instructions on their site. I'm gonna try it. I'm wondering though if regular powder coat will work just as good. I found some I'd love to try. It's called super chrome. I think it'd look badass.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Played with some new powder tonight.

Title
    Premium Member
    Looks good. I just got my powder in day before yesterday. I'll be trying it out this weekend. Who'd you get your powder from?

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk