Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: .243 Win loads

Title
    Premium Member
    That's cool! Reduced recoil load?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Yes. I have about 1000 rounds to make up for my kids to shoot so i was going for something with less recoil and still expand enough to get the job done at 200 yds.

Title
    Premium Member
    Loaded up a few 100gr test rounds with some IMR 4064. Want to try them out and some 95gr SSTs for deer loads. Does anyone else use SSTs for deer?

Title
    Premium Member
    I have tried them in a few calibers but was not too impressed. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I use 58 grain Vmax for varmint and use either H414 or 4320 powder. Pretty fast loads.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member

.243 Win loads

Quote Originally Posted by Garand46 View Post
    Loaded up a few 100gr test rounds with some IMR 4064. Want to try them out and some 95gr SSTs for deer loads. Does anyone else use SSTs for deer?

Loaded them up for my brother once. Never again. Lots of meat damage. No trace of the bullet anywhere and it didn’t exit in his .243. Shot was under 100. After that experience I am done with thin jacketed bullets for large game. For the .243 we switched a few years ago to the 85gr tsx and been happy with results. My wife is using that load this year. Running them about max load with IMR 4064.

Last edited by Jbotto; 09-25-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for your reply. I have yet to shoot a group with these.

Title
    Premium Member

.243 Win loads

Quote Originally Posted by Garand46 View Post

I’ve found the sst doesn’t hold together well at high velocities. I’ve used them in .243 and 300wm. It’s a pretty accurate bullet but really tears things up.

Title
    Premium Member
    I've shot one deer with them, my son-in-law one deer and my Dad 2 deer with them with one of my guns. I had a pretty good load but have moved on to a different caliber. I shot a .270 with it and lost the deer and my gun was shooting incredibly accurate. Still not sure what happened as I had a good look, good shot and it would shoot within 3/4" of center at 200yds. I've switched to Accubonds and Federal Trophy bullets. With the .243 I don't think any of the 4 deer got more than 20' after being shot.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Heck,the 120gr SST's will shed their jacket even at 6.8SPC vels. I went to a Barnes TSX for my bigger hog killin'.
    The 85gr at 3100 slams 'em. ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2