Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    I have been hunting the last few years with a handgun. Yesterday evening I was finally able to take a doe with my 338 Federal Encore pistol, 200gr Ballistic Silvertips over H335. That was my first time using Ballistic Silvertips on game, and they performed well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I can’t wait to try that bullet in my 338-06. Way to go with the handgun!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Finally got something.

My 13 year old got his first deer this season. He’s been going hunting with me since he was 3. This is the first year I let him carry a gun. It’s not a big doe, but he was so excited. He was shooting my CZ550 in 6.5x55 with 140gr Sierra game kings.

I whacked this guy with my 375 whelen improved with 270gr Speer spbt.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Finally got something.

My 13 year old got his first deer this season. He’s been going hunting with me since he was 3. This is the first year I let him carry a gun. It’s not a big doe, but he was so excited. He was shooting my CZ550 in 6.5x55 with 140gr Sierra game kings.

I whacked this guy with my 375 whelen improved with 270gr Speer spbt.

JTD
    Congrats to your son! That is a dandy buck for you as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Congrats to your son! That is a dandy buck for you as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Jump shooting sounders of hogs,that could number as many as 20,just off the sides of the peanut fields. These areas are called no mans land due to the thick vines and heavy growths of thick bamboo. Usually standing water with small islends of 20yds across. The hogs love to lay up on these due to the coolness and they can hear anything coming at them due to the water.<br>BUT . . . we have a plan. Cut them off and strafe them as they run by.<br>I use a Sten gun. 9mm with 32rd mag. Class III full auto. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: GLOCK 20 for backup.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Jump shooting sounders of hogs,that could number as many as 20,just off the sides of the peanut fields. These areas are called no mans land due to the thick vines and heavy growths of thick bamboo. Usually standing water with small islends of 20yds across. The hogs love to lay up on these due to the coolness and they can hear anything coming at them due to the water.<br>BUT . . . we have a plan. Cut them off and strafe them as they run by.<br>I use a Sten gun. 9mm with 32rd mag. Class III full auto. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: GLOCK 20 for backup.
    Great picture. Sounds like a blast!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Got plenty more pics of two old guys out making rocking chair stories ("And their I was,and this is no shiz.").
    We are older now with some health problems . . . but still hunting,shooting,and doing a sheetload of relosding.
    Especially in 300BLK,6.8SPC,308Win,450Bushmaster,22-250,etc,etc,plus other old guy tinkering projects.
    My latest - - > turn a Win Mod 70 bolt gun,chambered in 375 H&H Mag,into my daylight,closer range hog slayer. Somewhat loaded down of course.
    Gun will be chopped to 18 inches and LOP reduced to 13.25 inches.
    These three were dropped with my 6.8. Sounder of 13 in peanuts. Shot the biggest. DRT. The rest ran to the edge of the field,two stopped.A quick two shots dropped these other smaller hogs at 145yds. Backstrap nirvana. Smoked using pear tree wood. --- SAWMAN

Last edited by SAWMAN; 06-18-2021 at 03:57 AM.
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    That 375H&H project sounds like a fun one.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I just might expierament with some hardcast lead bullets although I do not expect that much penetration and that little wound cavity.
    Probably will gravitate towards light and semi-fast. The no lead variety would be a good option.
    This caliber cuts a wider that "normal" hole going in. Plus will have the ability to load HOT if invited to a big nasty bore hunt.
    Don't laugh. This happened several years ago because this boar hog was "harassing" the farmers draft horses.
    When we went out to scout,we found prints that were bigger than hard box of Marlboro's.
    I hunted with my 10ga "carbine" throwing a 766gr slug at 1285fps.
    We never got a shot at this beast but I suspect the land owner killed him 5 months later. With a 243Win at 225yds.
    WEIGHT ON DIGITAL SCALE. - - -> 409lbs. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited by SAWMAN; 06-22-2021 at 05:25 AM.
    XM177E2