Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cynjon View Post
    Filled my South Dakota buck tag this week...best mulie to date and an absolute tank of a deer body-wise. Very happy to fill the tag with a nice buck!
    Attachment 1664
    Wow! Nice one!!!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cynjon View Post
    Filled my South Dakota buck tag this week...best mulie to date and an absolute tank of a deer body-wise. Very happy to fill the tag with a nice buck!
    Attachment 1664
    Great deer! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    Killed this buck this morning, opening day of Missouri firearms season. I was using my old 7x57 Mauser. 154gr Hornady Interlock over Vihtavouri N150. Recovered the bullet, it weighed 121.8gr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Hard to beat that for opening morning! Nice deed you got there! Looks like the bullet did its job!

Title
    Premium Member
    Last night I filled my first tag of the year. Been too busy with other things and getting my wife’s tags filled that I have neglected my own!

.338-06 210gr Barnes TTSX. 90 yards or so. Double lung and heart shot. Complete pass through if you’d believe it. Wide and short blood trail.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Last night I filled my first tag of the year. Been too busy with other things and getting my wife’s tags filled that I have neglected my own!

.338-06 210gr Barnes TTSX. 90 yards or so. Double lung and heart shot. Complete pass through if you’d believe it. Wide and short blood trail.

She looks delicious. Are you hunting in a crop circle?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Well since this isn’t FB I suppose I can share the pictures that are all part of the hunt.

So here's the story. Snuck in like a half mile through an irrigation ditch. Watched three deer most of the evening. Two younger smaller deer at around 130 and another deer than might have been a bit bigger on the other side of me at about the same distance. Had a shot on the loner but passed it up as she really didn't look very big. She busted out shortly after I passed on her which left me to watch the other two. They were small but also kinda skylined as I could see ranches and cattle behind them. If they kept walking along the field edge they'd pass in front of a pile of dirt that would surely stop my bullet. Before they got there they were watching something else. I looked to where they were looking and saw two bigger does walking into the field. After I got the rifle ready, the bigger doe stopped in front on the dirt pile. Haha. She took that shot hard, went down, rolled over and three bounds later tried to jump a fence. She barely cleared it as she kinda dead centered a post. She cleared a two-track road on the other side of fence and went over the the side of an irrigation canal on the other side. Seems like when you use a big-ass bullet the blood trail isn't hard to follow. She went thirty yards or so after the shot. Shot ended up being under 100 yards.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    She looks delicious. Are you hunting in a crop circle?

JTD
    Haha! Not exactly! I was hunting near a center-pivot so maybe that can count for a crop circle. No she ended up over the bank of an irrigation canal right next to a retainment pond. Luckily all drained for the year.

Title
    Premium Member

That's a wrap!

2020ivory.jpg

2020elk.jpg2020packout.jpg
    All tagged out for 2020. 5 whitetails and a cow elk in our freezer and I helped 3 other friends fill their deer tags too! She was 2 miles up the country from the nearest open road and 1000ft in elevation but if you hunt up the pack is down. Got her out in just 2 pieces and didn't have to carry them at all. Those black toboggans worked pretty slick. 150yd shot with my 35 Whelen AI and a 200gr Barnes TTSX did the job. DRT!

Last edited by Mauser; 12-07-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have been hunting the last few years with a handgun. Yesterday evening I was finally able to take a doe with my 338 Federal Encore pistol, 200gr Ballistic Silvertips over H335. That was my first time using Ballistic Silvertips on game, and they performed well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
    2020ivory.jpg

2020elk.jpg2020packout.jpg
    All tagged out for 2020. 5 whitetails and a cow elk in our freezer and I helped 3 other friends fill their deer tags too! She was 2 miles up the country from the nearest open road and 1000ft in elevation but if you hunt up the pack is down. Got her out in just 2 pieces and didn't have to carry them at all. Those black toboggans worked pretty slick. 150yd shot with my 35 Whelen AI and a 200gr Barnes TTSX did the job. DRT!
    That sure is a freezer full of meat.

JTD