Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Powder selection help

Hello hive mind, I want to solicit your collective wisdom. I’m working towards load development for my new rifle setup, and want to dial in on the right powder.

The rifle is a Savage 111 in 30-06. It has an 18” barrel with 4 groove ratchet rifling, and will be shot suppressed. I’ve researched the load data for the bullets I’m using (Barnes 168 or 150 TTSX), and cross referenced the powders against the GRT calibration levels.

This leads me to the top three options that will work for either bullet, and also have highly calibrated GRT models. In order of calibration levels, they are:

1) H4350
    2) AA2520
    3) IMR 4895

My question really is, how do I pick between them? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I’m always willing to learn from those who know more and are willing to teach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    My picks would be, H4350 first. It is one my favorite 30-06 powders, and is most temp insensitive of the three. Second, I’d choose IMR4895, it is an extremely versatile powder, works well in many calibers, is a tad fast burning for my liking in 30-06, but still a very viable powder for it. Third I would go with AA2520. It’s a great powder, but one I typically avoid if hunting in temperature extremes. Some say to use magnum primers with ball powders to ensure consistent ignition in cold weather. I have never tested that on my own, just what I’ve read through the years.

Slower powders will typically yield better velocities in the 30-06 (to a certain point, some are just too slow for it), even in a shorter barrel. Unburnt powder may be of a concern if using a suppressor, so that may bump 4895 into first place over 4350 if that is an issue. Velocity or full powder burn, now I’m even second guessing myself.

This is just one mans opinion, maybe somebody else will chime in with their experiences, and reasonings.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I will definitely defer to JTD and his knowledge here. I looked back at my workings from many years ago for an old Sears rifle for my brother. The three powders that made it to the finals for me were Win 760, IMR 4350, and H4895. Now, I confess this was probably before I had steady access to a chronograph, but I ended up going with H4895. For what it's worth.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    I’m not super worried about unburnt powder, but it’s a fair point. The can I’ll be using is rated up to 338 Lapua, so it can handle some pressure.

If I understand correctly, a slower powder isn’t a bad thing here… interesting. I’m going to need to spend a little time making sure I understand your advice fully. I’m still fairly new to all this stuff.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambochicken View Post
    I’m not super worried about unburnt powder, but it’s a fair point. The can I’ll be using is rated up to 338 Lapua, so it can handle some pressure.

If I understand correctly, a slower powder isn’t a bad thing here… interesting. I’m going to need to spend a little time making sure I understand your advice fully. I’m still fairly new to all this stuff.

It’s something you may want to play with yourself. I certainly have. Ive tested powders in short and long barrels of the same caliber. I can’t remember all of them, but the results were the same in all of them. The fastest powder in the longer barrel was also the fastest out of the shorter barrel. The one that stands out to me, and I remember, the most was a 24” 6.5x55, and a 16” 6.5x55. If my memory serves, the powders I tried with 140gr bullets in both, were RL22, RL19, and IMR4064. Every round was slower in the short barrel as would be expected, but the fastest (RL22), was the fastest in both, followed by RL19, and then IMR4064.

I wish I could find my notes with all of the velocity data.

I’m wondering if you should do a velocity ladder test with each powder, or at least 2 of them. 1 shot for each powder charge for each powder. I know I’d be fascinated to see the results. I know components are scarce and expensive, so that may not be a possibility.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Yeah, I’m having a difficult time finding any of these powders currently. But I do have some IMR 4064 around I could do a side by side with.

I’m hoping to use GRT to help with load development, and it’s model for the 4064 is second only to non-existent.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambochicken View Post
    Yeah, I’m having a difficult time finding any of these powders currently. But I do have some IMR 4064 around I could do a side by side with.

I’m hoping to use GRT to help with load development, and it’s model for the 4064 is second only to non-existent.

4064 is excellent with 150gr bullets in 30-06. There is a load that people have been using for what seems like forever. Granted it is with a standard cup and core bullet, not a monolithic bullet. It is said, that if your 30-06 won’t group well with 52gr of IMR 4064 and a 150gr bullet, your rifle is sick or your scope is broken. Ive never personally tried that load but have read about it since forums have been a thing. I’m planning on trying it in my sons 30-06 with 150gr ballistic tips.

JTD