Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.3x57

Title
    Premium Member

9.3x57

I’m starting this thread as a continuation of the thread about looking for 9.3x57 dies over in the classified section. There is some good info over there already but any new stuff we can put in here.

JTD

Similar Threads:

Barring the supernatural I should make it to the range. The rifle will be the elderly Model 46 with four digit serial number. I'm using IMR 4064 with the Hornady 285gr. bullet. The scope has been set aside for the time being. It looks like the front sight has been untouched. The match mark lines up on the rear sight. The rifle remains in very good condition with no split wood. The other 9.3, the one with the FN action, is with gunsmith to have the crown cleaned up. More to follow. I stopped looking for a 36 caliber pilot for case trimmer. In a moment of enlighten realized that 6mm-257 shell holder for the Wilson trimmer would work just fine.

I did make it to the range today. I had a few rounds made with with 4064 and 286 gr. Hornady. It was pointed out to me several times these bullet was too stout for this level of performance. The pickings were slim looking for 9.3 bullets. I took what I could find. I have had good help and support from members of this and one other forum getting these old rifles shooting.

My load was 44grns of IMR 4064 in reformed PPU 8mm brass. The rifle remained regulated with excellent accuracy potential. This rifle could be taken hunting today without further work. Loads for this round appear to be mild. I did have protruding primers. I will necksize this brass. In the meantime, the hunt is on for more 8mm brass. These old guns are a winner. I am still considering fire forming brass with cream of wheat and pistol powder. I also working on the idea of forming 9.3 from 06 cases.

The FN based rifle went back with the gunsmith. We had some to go on that rifle before it was right.

Added: Gunsmith was zeroing in a Christensen Arms 280 Nosler with Swarovski 5-25x52 Scope for a customer. Different price level toys?

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 07-22-2021 at 03:30 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome report. I’m glad it’s shooting well. I’m wondering if with fireformed brass, it will alleviate the protruding primers.

I’m still waiting on my bolt to be sent back so I can shoot mine. Still looking for dies too.

JTD

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Awesome report. I’m glad it’s shooting well. I’m wondering if with fireformed brass, it will alleviate the protruding primers.

I’m still waiting on my bolt to be sent back so I can shoot mine. Still looking for dies too.

JTD
    I'm thinking that this like during the days of my making brass for 9x57. I do not think there is anything wrong with our rifles. We see basically the same diagrams of 9.3x57 from several sources. What was the original source of these numbers. I, for one, tend to buy into these numbers as coming down from the mountain carved in stone. The second thought is that we are dealing with a piece of machinery made that way by Huskqvarna. Here, the gun rules. Same with my old 9x57.

Right now we are dealing with little or no shoulder with what appears to be a longer head to cone measurement than in our diagrams. Also, we may be working at lower pressures causing protruding primers. Forming brass may be the answer.

This is what I'm kicking around right now. Trim a 30-06 neck and set should back in sizing die as the neck is expanded in Hornady dies. Make that formed case is a tight fit in the chamber. Fire form with fast powder and cream of wheat. Clean up case mouth. This is just a thought. I would like to get some input.

I have a few 8mm PPU cases that I may fire form. In the meantime the fired cases will be neck sized and reloaded. Those people who made those rifles were skilled craftsman building good rifles. After all that work they would not screw up chambers. The 9.3x57 is a neat cartridge.

Title
    Premium Member
    Do you have any measurements comparing necked up 8x57 with the fired 8x57 brass? Shoulder diameter base diameter and base to shoulder datum, should tell part of the story.

JTD

Do you have any measurements comparing necked up 8x57 with the fired 8x57 brass? Shoulder diameter base diameter and base to shoulder datum, should tell part of the story.

JTD
    With those protruding primers the numbers may not mean anything. The safe way it to make a chamber cast.

Title
    Premium Member
    Very true

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I am holding off on shooting my rifle. I am going to have my gunsmith bed it before I take it to the range. Ive just read too many stories about the stocks splitting in the tang area. I just had the stock start to crack on my sporterized 1891 Argentinian Mauser, from a crappy inletting job, so I’m going to take both to him when he gets back from vacation. I haven’t gotten my bolt back, with the new bolt handle, yet either.

JTD

I am holding off on shooting my rifle. I am going to have my gunsmith bed it before I take it to the range. Ive just read too many stories about the stocks splitting in the tang area. I just had the stock start to crack on my sporterized 1891 Argentinian Mauser, from a crappy inletting job, so I’m going to take both to him when he gets back from vacation. I haven’t gotten my bolt back, with the new bolt handle, yet either.

JTD
    What brand of dies did you finally get? So far, the Hornady dies have done very well. The hunt is on for 8mm brass.

The FN based rifle has the recoil pad installed and the front sight repaired. We'll be shooting that 9.3 rifle shortly. The The stock had been shortened by a Swedish Bubba. The recoil pad is to restore the length of pull. My gunsmithing funds are depleted.

Previously, the crown was redone. The rifle appears to be bedded correctly. The scope and rings had been removed. The base is to be left in place to cover up the screw holes.

I have only fired a few PPU factory rounds in the 8mm rifle. That rifle has a 60's vintage Japanese scope in a side mount.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 08-01-2021 at 12:48 AM.