Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Rock island double stack 10mm?

I am looking into possibly getting a Rock Island 10mm double stack tac ultra threaded. Does anyone have experience with this model or other double stack 10mm rock island 1911s?

A little on where I am coming from. You could call me a glock guy, almost every handgun I have owned has been a glock. That would be 5 out of 6 handguns. I love their reliability.

I have always loved 1911s, never owned one. I was never a fan of the single stack low round capacity. With the advent of the double stack my interest peaked again, especially with rock island offering an ebtry at a lower price point. I have heard a lot of pretty good things about rock island but have not been able to find direct response to a double stack 10mm.

I do not buy range toys or safe Queens. I expect to be able to use and trust my guns when I need them. Whether as a carry gun, hime defense or farm/woods gun. My main questions are if I can trust this gun to do what I need to when I need it straight out of the box, or if there will need to be some tuning required to make it run. If the later is the case what are the main things these guns require?

Thanks

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Cannot say anything about the double stack 10 but do have some experience with RI double stacks. Had a 45 Tac double stack for awhile. No issues at all with it other then let a buddy shoot and he just had to have it. I have a 22tcm/9mm double stack that I had to tweak the extractor a bit but has been flawless since. I have also fitted a 38 super top half to it and that has been a real pleasure to shoot.

Title
    Premium Member
    I would buy a Rock Island before I would a new Kimber pistol. Seen a couple new out of box Kimbers fail to fire at the range. Seen some new Remmy rifles do the same thing in the same time period. Pretty sad when you have the same quality as Remmy in my opinion!

Title
    Premium Member
    Not one of my 5 Kimbers have ever failed to fire or eject.

Nul Bastardo Carborundum. 48th Assault Helicopter Company (Dong Ha) UH-1C gunships, I corps Vietnam (JOKERS)

Title
    Premium Member
    The only 2 Kimbers I see function well are some oldies that my friend has had for 15 plus years. He won’t touch a new Kimber either.

Title
    Premium Member
    If you are looking for a double stacked 10mm, I suggest the Springfield Armory XDm 10. I love the XDm platform and they are very accurate and function flawless.

"Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the input! I am not an XD/m fan, had one for a couple years. So far if I am going plastic I will stick with my Glock. Although Glock and XD are the only polymer frame guns I know that have a 10mm.

I also am not a fan of single stacks, which limit my options for 1911 style 10mms also...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Title

Polymer 10mm

EAA offers their Witness polymer in 10mm. They have it in a full size and compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanglade View Post
    Thanks for the input! I am not an XD/m fan, had one for a couple years. So far if I am going plastic I will stick with my Glock. Although Glock and XD are the only polymer frame guns I know that have a 10mm.

I also am not a fan of single stacks, which limit my options for 1911 style 10mms also...

Title
    Premium Member
    If you buy a Kimber,buy a model with the inside extractor (like a Colt 1911). For a couple of years they switched to an outside extractor and those guns gave the shooter a bit of trouble.
    I carried a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II (3") for years. After about 2000rds,never a single problem. ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do not know anything about the eaa, I did some research, not my favorite looking gun by far. Maybe I go find one and put it in my hands.

I do not see myself buying a 10mm Kimber, but I appreciate the input on the extractor just in case.